Located less than 1 km from the town centre, Queen Victoria Park is large park shaded by giant heriatge listed tress. The site of the park was reserved in 1858 with a granite outcrop as the central feature. An elaborate design by Hungarian artist J A Rochlitz won a design competition the following year, with prison labour helping clear the site and the first exotic trees were planted in 1861.
Over the years the park has played host to many activities including croquet, camping, concerts and picture shows and is now a popular picnic spot for locals and visitors alike.
Pack a picnic rug or claim one of the tables and chairs, undercover or out in the open, with free BBQ facilities provided. Children will be kept entertained with a popular playground area.
Wander down the commemorative avenue, or inspect the two large cannons that were mounted in 1900 atop of the large granite outcrop.