Following Major Mitchell’s favourable report of the area, overlanders were quickly on the move and European settlement began in Ovens Crossing in 1838.
By 1848 the township had been officially named Wangaratta, the Bpangerang word for Long Necked Cormorant.
From the boom of the gold rush, the construction of the rail link from Melbourne to Sydney, Wangaratta has continued to grow. This heritage can be viewed through the various styles of architecture in and around the CBD.
For a detailed brochure of the walk call into the Wangaratta Visitor Information Kiosk.